Whether you live on campus on-campus or off-campus use this to-do list as a guide:
- Notify your landlord or housing office that you will be vacating your apartment. Most leases require 30-days written notice. Check your lease for details.
- Make sure your roommates are aware of your plans.
- Agree on a date to have a check-out appointment with your landlord and discuss your deposit if you had one.
- Call all your utility accounts and newspaper/magazine subscriptions:Cell phone, Gas, Water, Electric, Garbage, Cable TV, Internet, Newspapers/Magazines, Renter’s Insurance,etc.
- Make arrangements with your bank to close your account(s) or to change your address.
- Consider what to do with your vehicle if you have one.
- Contact health insurance, car insurance, and life insurance companies to discuss coverage options and whether to close the account.
- Leave a forwarding address at your local Post Office so they can send your mail to your new address.
- Pay any fines you may have (library, parking, etc.) If you owe money to Methodist University your official transcript will not be released. Return any library books overdue.
- Contact shipping or storage companies for best rates to ship/store your personal items.
- Sell miscellaneous furniture, appliances, computers, automobiles, bikes, etc. by holding a garage sale or placing the items on a website such as Craigslist, OfferUp or EBay.
- You can also give away items to a local thrift shop, such as the Salvation Army or Goodwill.
- MU collects donations which will be passed on to new students, please check with Student Affairs Offices on drop off locations.
- Go through your MU email to save or forward any information before the account shuts down.
- You must file taxes for every year you lived in the U.S. – which means that in the Spring of 2017, wherever you are, you must file taxes for 2016. That is why it is crucial to have your contact information up to date with IPO to insure delivery of your tax forms.
- Join MU Alumni network to receive updates and establish yourself with the Methodist University Alumni Community!
LinkedIn: MU International Alumni
17. Know how to get back to MU after graduation
The Greatest Gift Scholarship is a recruiting tool for alumni to encourage students to attend Methodist University. Any alum who recruits a new student to MU can apply for the Greatest Gift scholarship completely free of charge.